We spend a lot of time lying down in our beds either, sleeping, resting or reading a good book. No wonder that the mattress gets stained easily with all sorts of liquids, and my mattress makes no exception.
I discovered recently some disgusting yellow stains on my mattress! It’s definitely not pee, because I don’t have kids or pets and I certainly don’t wet the bed during the night.
But, what causes yellow stains on mattress?
Most people think that yellow stains are caused by pee, but it’s totally wrong. Well, yes, pee is responsible for most yellow stains on mattress, but also is sweat and body oils. Mattress stains must be removed carefully. Otherwise you risk spreading the spot and saturate it inside of the mattress which may lead to mold appearance.
How to naturally remove yellow stains on mattress
Mattress cleaning doesn’t have to rely on harsh chemicals. Start by cleaning your mattress every six months using only baking soda and you won’t need to face with strange stains ever again.
So, grab the following supplies to green clean your mattress:
- 16 oz spray bottle
- natural liquid dish soap
- baking soda
- 3% hydrogen peroxide
1. Fill the 16 oz bottle with water and add 1 teaspoon of dish soap. Mix well and spray the entire mattress. Make sure that the entire mattress surface is covered with the soapy solution. You will probably need two 16 oz soapy water bottles to cover the entire surface. Test the area with your hand.
2. The next step is to fill the 16 oz bottle with half water and half 3% hydrogen peroxide . Again, mix well and spray the entire mattress. Spray a little extra on the stained areas.
3. While the mattress is damp, evenly dust the entire surface with baking soda. You will need 2-3 cups of baking soda for the entire mattress. Use a clean rag to spread the baking soda so it forms a thin layer of paste over the mattress surface.
4. The entire process will take less than 10 minutes. As you spread the baking soda, you can already see the mattress stains become lighter! Because there is a reaction taking place. Open the windows and leave the baking soda dry overnight.
5. The next day, sweep or vacuum the dried baking soda off the mattress surface and enjoy your stain-free mattress.