It is very easy to overlook cleaning stuffed toys. The kids really love these stuffed animals. However, did you know that these stuffed toys are actually breeding grounds for dust mites and bacteria? And when I think that it has been quite a long time since I washed them, it sounds really harming for the kids. Hence, it is time to take some action and clean these stuffed toys as soon as possible. Not only they will look better, they will be so clean which is good for your kids’ health.
Now, before moving onto the cleaning methods, you should also know that some of these toys are machine washable. Despite that, there are others that the washing machine can easily damage their appearance. Thus, check out these methods because there are some tips that could help with this issues.
Method 1: Wash it on the machine but with a twist
– to avoid the damage on stuffed toys, simply put the toy inside a mesh laundry bag.
– then, launder it in the washing machine on a cycle with warm water. Make sure you never use hot water.
– next, make sure to set the machine to the delicate cycle so the stuffed toys won’t get balled up.
– after washing, take the stuffed toys out of the mesh bag and stretch it. That way it will restore its original shape.
– lastly, allow it air dry, you should not put in your dryer, the heat could damage the fur on the toys.
Method 2: Handwashing – the simplest way
– pour some water into a large bowl and add about 1 teaspoon of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.
– make sure you mix them very well to combine.
– then, soak the stuffed toys completely in the cleaning solution.
– using your hand, start gently scrubbing and washing the toys.
– once the toys look clean, squeeze it very well to wring out the liquid.
– next, simply rinse the stuffed toy very well with clean and cold water.
– wring them out and let them air dry.
Method 3: The good old scrub
– mix about ½ cup of baking soda and 3 teaspoons of white vinegar in a bowl to make a smooth paste.
– using a soft-bristled toothbrush, take small amounts of cleaning paste and use it to scrub the stuffed toys. Make sure you insist on visible stains and you use circular motions to scrub those really well.
– don’t hurry, it is best if you work your way into sections, scrubbing one part at the time.
– when you basically covered all the surface with the paste, rinse the stuffed toys very well with cold water.